Student COVID Testing State Recommendation
Information from MDE and MDH:
COVID-19 Testing for Kids and Families
The Minnesota Department of Health recommends that all school-age youth returning to school and their families get tested for COVID-19 every two weeks through the end of the school year. Kids involved in any extracurricular activities or sports should get tested every week.
Testing, plus wearing masks and taking other precautions like social distancing and staying home (quarantining) when needed, are some of the best tools we have to limit the spread of COVID-19. By getting tested regularly until the end of the school year, we can help limit the spread of COVID-19 and keep schools open and sports operating.
Anyone could have COVID-19 and not know it. Getting tested regularly is the best way to know you are still healthy. If you don't have symptoms and have not been close to someone with COVID-19, you do not need to stay home while you wait for your test results.
At Governor Walz’s direction, MDE is removing yet another barrier to testing: the UPS drop box. While some kids live down the street from a drop box, it’s quite a haul for others. Students will now be able to send their Vault-at-Home tests back to the lab through their schools.
How this works:
- Students or families order tests through the Vault-at-Home program (remember tests are no cost to Minnesota residents).
- Students complete their test at home.
- Students seal their sample tube and place it in the biohazard bag. The biohazard bag then gets sealed in the shipping bag that came with the test. The shipping label sticker is attached to the bag.
- Students bring their sealed shipping bag with the shipping label to school on your designated onsite testing day. Please communicate clearly with all students and families as to the day of your onsite testing programs.
To help students comply with MDH’s bi-weekly testing guidance and use at-home tests as a screening tool:
- Students should test on the same schedule as staff (a specific day every other week).
- Students will need to have a Vault-at-Home kit on hand at home to complete and bring to school on staff testing day.
- Once students receive notice that their sample is being processed at the lab, they can order another Vault-at-Home kit for the next screening day.
Lanesboro Public School has school staff testing every other Wednesday. The next testing date is March 31st, 2021 and then every other Wednesday from that date. If you would like to send back tests through UPS please drop off your sealed shipping bag with label at the school office before 10:00am on the Wednesday of testing.
Please go to the following website for more information: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/schools/testing.html